Wednesday 14 September 2011

Pakistani Bridal Makeup


Clown bride… that’s what I think of when I think of Pakistani brides of the past.  I cannot believe what so-called makeup artists would make gorgeous Pakistani girls look like on their wedding days.  For Western brides, the tradition is “less is more” and brides choose to go for an “enhanced” look of themselves.   Now I don’t think that correlates at all to the beauty, intricacy, and boldness of a Pakistani bride.  Beautiful faces with done up eyes, bold lips and softly blushed cheeks are essential to Pakistani brides…we have intricate outfits, heavy jewelry, having a bare face just makes the look incomplete!
I just barely began to schedule my makeup trials (soo essential brides!) and I’m looking to Pakistani fashion sites for inspiration…I’ve been looking at the posh new Pakistani salons back in Karachi to see what the new trends in makeup are.

Here are a few photos of some beautiful Pakistani brides with their makeup:
I love this because it’s a Pakistani bride’s definition of subtle (done at Rukaiya’s Salon in Karachi)
Here’s a picture from the amazing Bina Khan who is arguably the best makeup artist in Karachi…. she made this little Pakistani bride look so pretty… look at her eyes and her glowing skin and her soft lips!
Bina Khan's make up on a Pakistani bride
Not to mention how beautiful the embroidery on her dress is and the jewelry!  Everything on here is simple yet she really looks beautiful.  I’m going to take this photo to my trials because her skin tone matches mine more than the other models I see posted on these websites!
Here are some other photos that I’m in love with, all from salons in Karachi:
I can definitely do without the bright pink lips but I love how her eyes pop.
Now this below is definitely something I’m going to take to my trials too… her face looks really clean, love her eyes, and her lips are not too shiny but they look good.
And now I have to show you my most favorite bride, hopefully she doesn’t get mad, but she was the most beautiful bride I’ve seen… my cousin!!  Her makeup was done in West Palm Beach by a lady named Sumaiya Waheed (who really needs a website!)

My Beautiful Cousin
I included a photo where she’s looking down so you can really appreciate her eyes.  I love that she chose the accents of her dress (green) as her eyeshadow color rather than use red or gold eyeshadow which is really typical of Pakistani brides…. really unique and looks amazing on her.



Anyway, just some photos of Pakistani brides.
And for all my non-Pakistani friends, hope this gives you a glimpse of how my wedding will be!
*Yes, we wear all that jewelry (the head pieces, called a teeka/tikka are a must for a bride!)
*Yup, we have our veil (called dupattas) draped like that… and yes its usually made of silk and is really heavily embroidered.  There’s a whole blog post about that coming, because draping a dupatta is really an art!
*And yessss we wear that much makeup and love getting dolled up for our weddings!  There is no such thing as “natural makeup”… but thankfully more modern Pakistani brides have kept the outrageous makeup of days past under control a bit!
Tips for other brides:
-Research makeup artists, get referrals from friends
-Get a trial!  Usually these are discounted over the normal rates they charge, and some places even give them to you for free if you pay in full for you wedding on that date.
-Take photos for inspiration, especially of your dress and also photos of other brides for inspiration
-Take pictures after your trial so that your makeup teams remembers how they did your makeup for your big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment